Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 12 noon - 1:30 pm PST
Lyssa deHart, LICSW, MCC
CCEUs 1.5 Core Competency
Members $15, Non-members $25
Hosted by ICF Washington State
Description of Webinar
Metaphors are all around us; they flow through the daily rhythm of our conversations. Unless they are wildly obvious, we may miss them. Join this fun webinar and learn to play with the power of visual language. Learn what metaphors and similes are and consider ways to use them with your clients artfully.
John Geary said, “Whenever we describe anything abstract: ideas, feelings, thoughts, emotions, concepts, we instinctively resort to metaphors”
Learning to use the metaphors that your clients bring to the conversation is far more powerful than scripting your metaphors into the coaching conversation. Metaphors are vivid doorways into who your clients are being, their deeply held beliefs, their vision of themselves and their sense of what they want. This awareness can give you a powerful tool to get curious with greater ease.
What you will learn:
- The differences between Metaphors and Similes.
- Neuroscience + Metaphors.
- The power of using the Metaphors that your clients bring to your coaching conversations.
- Coaching demonstration.
- Practice using actual client conversational prompts to begin to play with crafting powerful questions that get straight to the heart of your clients concerns.
- And, connecting the use of client Metaphors to competencies of Direct Communication, Active Listening, Awareness, Powerful Questioning, and Trust and Intimacy.
Lyssa deHart, LICSW, MCC has over 20 years of experience working with individuals and organizations. She is a relationship expert, focusing on our relationship with ourselves and with our internal narratives. She wrote the bestselling book,StoryJacking: Change Your Inner Dialogue, Transform Your Life, (2017). Lyssa works as a Course Leader and Mentor Coach with inviteCHANGE. Lyssa loves working with coaches to support their development and confidence in weaving the ICF Core Competencies through their coaching conversations. She offers several groups and works with individual clients to navigate the plot twist in life. To learn more about her offerings, please visit her website.